How to Actually Set Your 10x Goals and Reach Your Goals Fast While Having Fun Doing It!
AKA …The Super Cool, Easy Tool to Get the Stuff You Desire Fast Project
Click the Button to Download the Pdf, Mp3, Calendar and Roadmap
So the University of Scranton did a study on New Year’s Resolutions… they found that only 8% of Resolution makers reach accomplish them… even more interesting, they noted, that the resolution makers didn’t get past the first week of January.
I was like, are you kidding, I barely make it past lunch before I start feigning for stuff, I never wanted before, but because now, it was “off-limits”, I just had to have it.
Now there are several theories as to why people are or aren’t successful. If you have been in my community for any length of time, you know my personal “position” on positive thinking and affirmations… and the Self-Help Trifecta.
Generally people fail to reach them, because the list is too damn long, the list is too vague, or it’s not really what they want, but what they think they should want… UGH, judgment… that pesky troll shows her head again.
Let’s face it, the long goal list is just overwhelming. How do you begin? Where do you begin? How do you plan? How are you going to deal with all of the other “stuff” that comes with living, trying to hit everything on the list?
The Vague resolutions don’t provide the necessary energy Juju needed. You know what Mr. Graham Bell says, right? “Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work in hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus”.
So, saying things like, I want to make money or lose more weight, or be a better person. What does that even mean? How will you even know if you hit it??? How do you even get excited about that? Consider, if you say, I am going on vacation… Not too exciting, right? When you say, “I am going to Hawaii for Christmas”, see the difference? Now, all of the senses are awake. What is important to remember, is that…
“Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you desire from what you do.” Michael Korda
Then there are the “should” resolutions… those are the ones, we think we should make or want because they are “nice” and “unselfish”. Now, I talk a lot about judgment and how that keeps us from truly getting the good stuff in my book. Suffice it to say, stop it. LOL
These “should resolutions” also keep you stuck and only create more of the same stuff. It’s like groundhogs day. Same energy, creates same result. When you are creating something, don’t create from you current circumstances. As Mark Caine has so insightfully noted…
“The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself. — Mark Caine
Now, I don’t subscribe to the ideal of “goals” necessarily, but in order to do “stuff” you need to be headed in some direction, right? You need a target.
As Zig Ziglar would say- “You hit what you aim at, and if you aim at nothing you will hit it every time.”
So, just how do we not be in the 92% of failures per the University of Scranton study?
Quite easily, actually…I submit, that instead of making a laundry list of goals, pick 3. Only 3. Not 5, not 10, but 3!
YES, ONLY 3!
There have been countless studies in just about every field on the Rule of 3.
Instead of creating goals that are vague, overwhelming or based on “shoulds”… you pick 3 BIG 10X Specific Ones!
Think about it, didn’t it just feel lighter??? You know you can do 3 goals, right? There is a certain confidence and relief that comes with only 3.
In reality with 3 little Natives and no support, I am lucky to get 3 things done… but 3 is DOABLE. It forces you to prioritize, not get overwhelmed and actually feel the energy of accomplishment or momentum. Momentum is EVERYTHING.
“One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals.” Michael Korda
Think about it, when you do something, see it has worked, even a little, your mind immediately asks the question, “well, if it worked a “little”, what happens, if I put in a little more effort???”… then before you know it, you are off to the races.
So what is this easy “process” to finally getting you the stuff you want????
Let’s get started…
Here is a Pre-Step- Begin with the End in Mind… and Don’t Create from where you are right now in your life… don’t create from “have to get childcare” or “get the funds together”… those are present circumstances and only bog you down. The fact of the matter is, does the “how” really matter? HECK NO!
Let’s get started with the process.
Step 1. Drop Calling it a Goal, and Call it a Project…
We are no longer goal setting, we are project planning. Doesn’t that already feel lighter?
- Now you have to name your project. Operation Mini-Oprah… Code Name Dream Love… Call it Something… Something that immediately brings a smile to your face, and gives your butterflies; A name that makes you feel alive and magical. For example, instead of losing weight, call it Operation Red Dress, The Too Hot Project, Girl MAGNATE… Code Name Super Practice. Whatever feels true for you.
- Think of actually experiencing that… when you think of your Project being accomplished and realized, what feelings come up for you? Note those feelings, and write them down. Pick 3 words, not phrases, just words. For example, Confident, Adventure, Passion…
- With those Power Feelings in mind, what specifically is Operation Too Hot? For example… and describe it in a feeling… for example, “Walk into a room and people fall off their chair at the class reunion”. Now, of course, many people would never admit that to themselves, but we all think it. Aint no shame or judgment, but be real with you, ok? The more real, the quicker the creation and yummy Juju, cool? If it’s Mini-Mogul, it could be, move into that 5 bedroom house, that I run around naked in… with wood floors… and see yourself in that moment. Tie it to an experience. Experience creates the energy to get this moving.
Step 2. Specificity and Clarity
Using numbers, and I’ll explain why numbers in a moment. Write down, the completion date for your Project. For example, Operation Incredible Hot Due Date March 3, 2015; Operation Mini Mogul December 31, 2014….
Keep in mind, you should only have 3 projects right now. Only 3!
Now with the due dates in mind, move on to Step 3.
Step 3 The Breakdown, Measure and Track
You have to measure, so you can adjust. It forces you to pay attention… and remember, what you pay attention expands. Nothing is written in stone… you are writing your own rules, right? So, it’s about making subtle adjustments as you go. Think- Committed to the Epic-Ness but not on the attached to the “way” it has to happen.
With Your Project Names and Dates in Place…
Breakdown each of your projects by Month…. For Each Month you will accomplish 3 measurable, specific outcomes, that stretch you… These are milestones, that let you know where you are and what needs to happen next. Chart them on your Epic YAY Roadmap or create your own chart.
Breakdown each of your projects by Week… For Each Week you will accomplish 3 measureable, specific outcomes that stretch you… Chart your milestones. What will they be?
Break down each of your project by Day… For Each Day, you will accomplish 3 measurable specific outcomes that stretch you. Again, chart your milestones.
- 3 Measurable Outcomes for the month for your 3 goals
- 3 Measurable Outcomes for the week for your 3 goals
- 3 Measurable Outcomes for the day for your 3 goals
Keeping in mind, that you have your power feelings top of mind as you move towards your project completion.
You HAVE TO MEASURE… you need to know where you are, what’s working, what’s not. Equally importantly, you will gain momentum as you see yourself completing things, that once seemed daunting. YAY!
Some Pointers and Thoughts:
- There will be “things” and distractions that come up. Always refer back to the Project and the feelings associated with completion of the project.
- When you are creating your measurable outcomes, create them FROM your power feeling and project. Meaning, if it’s not directly related to the ultimate completion of your Project, then it’s not on the list of 3 outcomes, see?
- As opportunities show up, related to that ultimate feeling, take them.
- What you will find is, that as you focus and move in the direction of what is true for you, things come together auto-magically.
- Use Your Chooser- When faced with 2 options, choose the one aligned with the direction of your power feelings and projects.